Interested in Coaching?
Great! Bevery Youth Soccer depends on volunteer coaches to run a successful, fun program. Our coaches are supported with BYSA-funded coaching and licensure, as well as guidance, help, and encouragement from our Director of Coaching.
Coaching in BYSA's In-Town Programs
No experience is neccessary for our in-town leagues (Pre-K, Kindergarten, Grade 1/2 & Grade 3/4).
Pre-K & Kindergarten coaches will need to commit to one-hour on Saturdays. The program is led by our Challenger coaches from the UK who will introduce drills & games to all the players. Your job is simply to help & encourage them when the "teams" break out to practice the drills and scrimmage.
Grade 1/2 & Grade 3/4 coaches will need to commit to a practice one-day a week and a one-hour game on Saturdays. You will have your choice of what day to hold practice. Game times can be scheduled to deal with conflicts at the beginning of the season. All coaches will be paired with at least one assistant coach to share the load in the event of unexpected conflicts. Coaches are responsible for putting together practice plans. At the bottom of this page are links to several resources for age-appropriate practice plans and drills.
Travel team (Grade 5/6 & older) coaches will need to commit to a practice two-days a week and a one-hour game on Saturdays that will require travel up to an hour. You will have your choice of what day to hold practice. All coaches will be paired with at least one assistant coach to share the load in the event of unexpected conflicts. Coaches will be responsible for putting together practice plans. At the bottom of this page are links to several resources for age-appropriate practice plans and drills.
BYSA Coaches Code of Conduct
- As a volunteer coach, your conduct on the spectator sideline is also a reflection on BYSA. It is your duty to teach our children about sportsmanship and respect.
- Beverly Youth Soccer Association has a zero tolerance policy when it comes to illegal drugs and alcohol while involved in any Beverly Youth Soccer Association activity where there are children present.
- Coaches shall arrive on time for practices and games. In the event the C1 is not able to arrive on time, they are to make arrangements for one of the assistants to be there on time in their absence.
- During practices, there should be at least 2 adults present at all times. If there is only one coach at the practice, then another parent must remain at the practice.
- Coaches shall conduct the minimum number of practices per week according to the guidelines set by Beverly Youth Soccer in accordance with age groups, unless another arrangement is set prior to the season starting and approved by all team members.
- Coaches and assistant coaches are at all times to conduct themselves in a respectful and professional manner at all games and practices and in dealings with game officials.
- Coaches and assistant coaches are at all times to conduct themselves with the best interests of the team and its members at all games and practices.
- Coaches shall be sure that an adult representative of the team (C1 or assistant) will remain present until all children are picked up from practice and/or games
Coaches Registration Process
PLEASE NOTE: If you have any questions, please reach out via email to email@example.com for assistance.
Step 1 - Register with BYSA
This puts you into our system and alows us to assign you to a team in TeamSnap. TeamSnap is how you'll communicate with player families and other coaches throughout the year. This will also make you visible to our Risk team to help you get credentialed.
Step 2 - Register with MYSA
After completing your Beverly Youth Soccer Association registration, you'll need to register with Mass Youth Soccer Association. In order to coach, you'll need a MYSA-approved lanyard. This lanyard is verification that you've passed a number of background checks and have received training on concussion awareness and abuse prevention. You need this lanyard to step onto a field with your team. The MYSA Adult Registration page will step you through your CORI, SafeSport, and Concussion Awareness training modules, as well as your state registration.
Step 3 - New Coach ID Verification
The final requirement for us to verify your adult registration is your ID Verification. New coaches - please look out for email messages regarding dates/locations where you can have your identification verified by our Risk team.
Any Beverly Youth Soccer Team can participate in a variety of soccer tournaments. BYSA will pay half of a team's registration fee for up to two tournaments per year. In order to sign up for any of the below tournaments, simply sign up normally, and choose 'Pay by Check' and do not send payment. BYSA will pay your team's entire registration fee, and then you will be asked to collect half the registration fee for your team.
Peabody Columbus Day Tournament
The Peabody tournament takes place over Columbus Day weekend, smack dab in the middle of your team's fall schedule.
Coaches LIcensing and Training
As a member of Essex County Youth Soccer Association, BYSA coaches are required to complete significant training prior to taking to the fields. Part of that comes in the form of US Soccer Grassroots licensing, part of it comes from a concussion training course, and the final component is working with our Director of Coaching.
US Soccer Grassroots License
US Soccer provides high quality, online Grassroots Coaches' Training that can be completed on your own schedule. Every BYSA coach is expected to complete at least their age-appropriate Grassroots license.
BYSA reimburses all coaches for all US Soccer licensing fees. This includes Grassroots licenses, as well as further classes for coaches inclined to pursue advanced licenses.
Note: For reimbursement, please complete any courses, and then email a copy of your receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org
Preseason Director of Coaching Training Sessions
Additional Coaching Resources!
Mass Youth Soccer has practice plans for all age groups.
Online Soccer Academy has a huge library of instructional videos on moves, tactics & drills.
Affiliated with Southampton, The Coaching Manual uses their academy to illustrate tactics & drills.